March 14, 2014

Why I chose decorative wall panels over wallpapers



In the 60s and 70s, wallpapers were a really trendy way of decorating your walls. They were an interesting alternative to paint. Many homes were decorated that way; commercials and home builders also used them as a nice way to boost the esthetic appeal of a house.


I never really liked them very much. They kept falling apart and getting stained so I told my dad at the time we should paint the house (which we did) and that interestingly enough became one of the iconic moments I remember about our relationship early on. We continued to share differences of opinions over interior design concepts but he always trusted my taste and I appreciate him for it. He was even more surprised however, when I recommended we remove the paint and install decorative wall panelsinstead! He has always told me I am ahead of my years when it comes to decoration. I think I just have a general notion of esthetic appeal; basically of what looks good and what doesn’t and in that regard I have rarely been wrong.

Our decorative wall panel was amazing. It was mostly wood but it had very nice carvings around the middle and incredible finishes on the edges. It gave our home an instant boost, it made it look a lot more elegant. We then added some paintings and nice furniture thus completing our home remodeling project. I think our home looked terrific, he definitely agreed since he basically funded the whole makeover. Dad always said that there comes a time in a man’s life where there is a great amount of pleasure in the little things such as decorating a house, things that he confesses were usually left for me and my mom to decide and execute. He now takes part in the decision making process and enjoys the follow through of our projects and I know for a fact he gets a kick of our guests’ looks when they see our décor.

No comments:

Post a Comment