March 23, 2014

My Entrance Door


A few years ago, a college professor told me a line that has since stayed with me: ‘’you never get a second chance to make a first impression’’. That single quote changed my way of thinking and general outline of the world right away. I started dressing better, speaking better, listening more, judging less. It was definitely a transformative experience. Once I purchased my first home, I made sure to implement his lesson on my sacred temple.

I knew that the first impression version of my house would be the façade, so I made it a point to make it look as best as my budget would let me. I installed a picket fence and beautiful gardening on the front porch, it may have been Kentucky blue grass or a look-alike but I loved it. I figured the final step for the first impression project was the entrance door. I believe in symbolism and that doors act as a gate that transport me and my guests from the outside world into my own personal space. A space for relaxation, reflection and peace. I began browsing around in decoration magazines to see what door could best fit my wishes. Somewhere, in one of the dozens of magazines I looked at, I saw a wooden door with a beveled glass panel on each side. They were shaped like beautiful roses and had some color in them, I knew immediately that was the look I wanted for my house.

I always enjoyed walking through my beveled glass doors, and my initial safety concerns bearing around the glass being see-through quickly dissipated once I realized that just was not the case. The door provided safety and a lovely decoration option. Many of my friends (to my surprise) complimented me on how elegant the doors looked, something I realized until after the fact but now that they mentioned it, they did look very classy indeed. Yay me all the way!

1 comment: