May 30, 2014

Broken Mirror Mosaic Table



One boring Sunday, I realized I was bored with the layout of my room. I rearranged my furniture and rehung custom mirror. Finally, I was satisfied with the way my room looked and decided to go out with my friends. However, I guess I hadn’t hung the mirror carefully enough, because when I returned I found it on the floor, completely shattered. At first I was upset, but then I realized that there was something beautiful I could construct from this disaster: I could decorate my bedside table with a mosaic using the salvaged mirror pieces.
my photos, wall art, and

Using thick work gloves, I carefully collected the shards and placed them in a box. I ran out to the store and got sandpaper, adhesive and grout. My first step was to sand the top of the table a bit. Next I slathered the table top with glue and donned my gloves again. Carefully and artfully, I arranged the broken mirror pieces and stuck them to the table. Once the adhesive was dry, I covered the table top with grout. I waited about an hour for the grout to set and dry, and then I gingerly cleaned the mirror shards with a soft cloth until they were shiny again.

Just a few hours and a little bit of elbow grease was all it took to give my night table a fresh look.  Reusing and repurposing items that no longer serve their intended purpose is such an easy and cheap way to revitalize your home. True, I did not have my original custom mirror anymore, but I now had a funky, new-looking table. Just think – without a bit of creativity, those mirror shards would be sitting in the garbage right now. Instead, they are brightening up my bedroom in a whole different way!

No comments:

Post a Comment